So we are planning a camp this summer for our area youth. We’ve secured a location and quite a few volunteers. I just worked out the preaching arrangements and we will be letting some of our volunteers handle the majority of the planning. This leaves me to deal with some of the more important details like the camp trophy. I’m thinking we go with a guys/girls competition for the week instead of pitting churches against each other since we are going for unity. The big question is what the trophy should be. It needs to be pretty absurd and also really cheap. I thought the random people here might be able to help me out.
To get the creative juices flowing here is a list of traveling trophies awarded to the victor of major college football games.
- Illinois vs. Ohio State—Illibuck (originally a live turtle is was replaced with a wooden one when the live one died)
- Colorado State vs. Wyoming—The Bronze Boot
- UC Davis vs. Sacramento State—The Causeway Carriage (yes an actual Victorian carriage)
Notre Dame vs. USC—Jeweled Shillelagh (no really it’s not what it looks like)
- Wisconsin vs. Minnesota—Paul Bunyan’s Axe (Babe the ox was part of the deal till they had a BBQ)
- Minnesota vs. Iowa—Floyd of Rosedale (Originally a live pig to settle a bet now a bronze trophy of a pig)
- Iowa State vs. Missouri—The Telephone Trophy
- Purdue vs. Illinois—The Purdue Cannon (yes a real cannon that was stolen by Illinois then became a traveling trophy)
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute vs. Union College—Dutchman’s Shoes (who said guys can’t want shoes?)
- Texas vs. Oklahoma—The Golden Hat (Lately a permanent fixture in Norman)
So there are 10 of the weirdest trophies in College sports. Many of the trophies came from odd settled bets or grew out of the lore of the colleges. We could wait a few years till something comes up on its own but I’m really thinking I’d like to try and get some kind of excitement generated at the start of camp. Sure we can get a nice trophy but I think some piece of randomness, some might even say junk, would make a better trophy. I will say that I’m not interested in your skank dolls for this, katdish, so don’t even offer. We have values or something like it. Now a pink flamingo being attacked by scary metal mouths would be nice.